[List] 4★ Arcana: down the golden path with Yawood

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Elevator, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Elevator

Elevator Well-Known Member

Party Leader:
    Fan-Fan
    Player Rank:
    With the increased rates, SSR/UR arcana are easier to obtain, but they are certainly not automatic and we find ourselves in need of using SR units from time to time. For others, there simply isn’t enough cost to cram all those shiny 5*s into the party. Since there are many questions on which SRs to use, I thought I would make a little ranked list in the spirit of Iza’s excellent 3* list on the SR units currently available. I do make an attempt to be fair, but this is strictly my opinion so don’t take it too seriously. I will make an effort to update this, but this is mostly for fun (otherwise why would anyone make a ranking?), so don’t count too much on it.

Here are the “ranks”
    [Best of the best]: These characters are the creams of the crop, and you will use them over just about any other SR, and often many SSRs units as well
    [Pretty Great]: Wonderfully able characters that you are in no hurry to replace with SSR
    [Good Enough]: Better than most, they do their job well enough, SSRs are better but if you have a couple of LBs you can easily stick with them.
    [Okay]: Middling characters with middling abilities, consider replacing with SSRs of similar function or better SRs when you can.
    [Poor]: Outclassed by other SRs. If you are “lucky” to get several LBs, they could work, but if not you could consider replacing them with higher LB Rares.
    [Ioh]: Ioh.​

Regarding Kizuna: I did not rank the list with Kizuna in mind, since they are not here yet and Gumi can always change them. I did however list the kizuna effects for every unit based on the JP Gamerch wiki if you wish to consult before selling units. If there are no numerical values, it is because the wiki did not list them either.
    Note: skill = active skill that uses mana; abilities: passive abilities
    Note: I do factor cost into the ranking.

--------------------------- Best of the best
    :wizard: Roxanna: Roxanna doesn’t say much, and she doesn’t need to. All of the demons know her by name and tremble whenever she raises her left arm because they know the pain is coming, and pain doesn’t talk either. Her one-mana song that raises party attack by 50% is broken – strong enough for demon raids, and cheap enough for just about any content. She’ll also give you some AP back from time to time, but that’s just icing on the cake. You will be happy with her for a long time, and if you don’t have her yet, I suggest you go bury your head in the sand(box).
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 25% and reduce damage taken by 15% while fighting in desert)

:archer: Linia: Linia is a textbook example of how to make a utility character. Take everything you want – healing, blind recovery (with each regen tick), mana training, per-wave heal and put them all into an attractive package with low cost. If you want a healing archer, no need to look anywhere else.
    (Kizuna: Per-wave heal of 4% max HP to entire party)

:cleric: Danielle: I really hate Gumi-exclusive characters. Not that there is anything wrong with their art or abilities, but every time I use their ability, I either get some barely audible chirp instead of a gallant war cry or a cute cheer, or I get death to my eardrums. Danielle is no exception, but I will make an exception just for her. +15% attack and +5% defense from the sub-party makes her arguably the second best sub-party buffer behind Phoena, and she does this at a cost of only 12. Using sub-party is expensive, especially with the new SSRs starting to cost 19 so every bit counts. She’ll also give a nice boost to your gold income, but just don’t bring her into the actual battle – I don’t think she ever received proper training in healing. (Note: in typical Gumi fashion, they keep breaking her so that her attack boost is 10%, but 15% is the stated skill and we all hope she is permanently fixed sooner than later)

:cleric: Lyla: Lyla works differently from the rest of the clerics. Her job is to prevent damage instead of just healing them, and her ability to prevent damage improves with the rest of your party, which does not require any additional copies of her. Her ability prevents damage equal to 5% of attack stat of the unit receiving it. For example, say you have a MLB lv. 80 Deed, whose attack is 7730. When Lyla is singing, Deed will take 7730 x 0.05 = 386 damage less every hit. With attack boosts from other units and sub-party, defense boosts, and defense bonus from weapons, you will often see a screen of “1”s well into the second book contents. To back that up, she also gets a per-wave heal for all allies, and one of the highest attack stat for SR clerics. That said, to properly use her, you should bring strong units in your party, which is why she is much better now with V2 than she was in V1. Her song is also short (only 15 seconds), so it might be difficult to judge when to start her song, but when she is singing, all is right with the world.
    (Kizuna: increase experience gain by 6%, per-wave heal of 3% max HP for all allies).

--------------------------- Pretty Great
    :warrior: Elda: Elda looks very young but she is actually a middle-aged (too old for Japan) lady, and with her years of wisdom and worldly knowledge come a fantastic skillset for a SR warrior: crowd control (2-mana for 5x AOE and daze), per-wave self-heal, and a 5% chance to daze on normal attack. Let the young’uns have their big damage numbers and leave the details to the older and more experienced. Oh, DID I MENTION SHE IS OLD? HER NAME IS ELDA. EL-DA. GET IT??
    (Kizuna: Increase damage against dazed enemies by 30%)

:warrior: Goryou: If you are a member of the black army, then you’d hate Goryou. He’ll come and take your lunch money, draw dumb stuff on your notebook, and tries to trip you while you are hurrying to a meeting with Eirenus. In the end he is kind of harmless (only 2x damage multiplier on this skill), but his incessant knockbacks and daze makes it hard to get any people-killing and city-razing done. What a jerk.

:warrior: Hassan: He might have an dumb face, and a weirdly anachronistic sense of style, but his songs are the real deal and you should listen to it. Everyone else in the volunteer army already does and it makes them 30% happier. It’s not his fault that Pirika didn’t give you Musica or Roxanna, so let him blast the eardrums of your allies and enemies alike. YAAAHOOOOOO indeed.
    (Kizuna: increase attack by 3%; immune to slow)

:wizard: Aracne: If you played enough RPGs, you are bound to run into a cursed weapon at one time or another. You know, the ones that turns your character into a uncontrollable berserker or weak pudding or member of the opposite sex. Now, why can't there be good curses? You know, the ones that make your characters strong, confident, or into a member of the opposite sex? "Pssst, Elevator, then it's called a blessing you dimwit". Ah yes, allow me to introduce to you Blessed Magician Aracne. For she is the blessed second member of your sub-party with 10% attack and 7.5% damage reduction buff. Now, it is actually debatable whether the extra 2.5% damage reduction is worth 3 extra cost, but who care about such tiny details. You probably already have her anyway from emptying your coffers at Daybreak Tavern.
    (Kizuna: when Kizuna’d to someone in the sub-party, increase attack and defense of main party by 2%)

:wizard: Elemia: The competent maid can heal, provide free mana, cure blind, give you a shoulder message, and even get along with Melchior. Is there anything she can’t do? Yes – activating her second ability… until NOW! V2 mission gives you a free copy of her so you can finally active her second skill. When it comes to a healing mage, she has the entire package. If she had a wave heal you might never bother with other healing mages.
    (Kizuna: increase damage to blind enemies by 30%)

:wizard: Lucana: Before you throw your computer through the window let me try to sell you on Lucana for a second. First, she has a bit of the Ninth territory thing going on where she has lower cost (11) than an average SR mage, but better stats (her attack is one of the highest SR mages), but the real reason she is here is because of freeze. Freeze is one of the most underrated status effects in Yggdra because it’s so rare, and also because it’s not always clear how it works: if someone is frozen, they are stunned until somebody hits them with an attack. If they are left alone, the freeze lasts for more than 10 seconds. If they are hit when frozen, the first attack that hits them will do 30% more damage. So it is conceivably possible to use freeze for defense and also for offense to increase damage during demon raids or for the assault missions – it would be like having an extra Hassan. Lucana brings two buckets of freeze: her skill guarantees freeze for 2 mana, and her normal attack will freeze 10% of the time. Both are “best in class” abilities that few outside of Gumi original SSRs rivals. You do like ice cream right, then give freeze and Lucana a chance.
    (Kizuna: ranged attack has a chance to freeze)

:wizard: Stella: Stella’s treasure chest boost (20%) is in the middle between Nympha (30%), and Cleora/Isaiah(10%). At this point she is pretty useable. She just also happens to be an excellent auto-attacker with some fantastic boosts from unused mana. If you have 2 mana in the bar, her stats at LB0 becomes roughly that of a LB0 SSR. If you have a full bar of mana, her attack is 8800. I also appreciate Gumi for translating her skill line as “YOUR FACE IS ALL KINDS OF WRONG”; better than her original “No! You are not cute!”
    (Kizuna: increase treasure chest drop chance, increase attack by 15% when fighting in the sea)

:wizard: Vienta: Before Danielle stole her thunder, Vienta was the quintessential sub-party buffer #2 for those who could not catch the interest of Queen Juliana. That said, +10% attack and +5% defense from the back ranks is still no slouch, particularly since it comes at a cost of 12. She is also slightly more competent than Danielle in battle. Make sure to be nice to her or her father will come along and shove a large iron bar up your a… never mind.
    (Kizuna: when Kizuna’d to someone in the sub-party, increase attack and defense of main party by 2%)

:archer: Clarice: The main reason Clarice is here is for her fear factor in the Colosseum. Otherwise she is a decent, but not spectacular character in normal battles. If you are fighting against someone with a Clarice and kills their front line too quickly… watch out. If you have no interest in PvP-type content, feel free to move her down to “good” or “okay” category depends on how much effort you want to spend building her boost. Also, is there anyone else that looks at you with more disgusted eyes in this game? “Hero? Savior or Yggdra? More like Trash. Don’t touch me.”
    (Kizuna: when an ally is defeated, increase attack by 12)

:cleric: Arietta: Choosing a SR cleric is like ordering from the local ice cream shop. You get to pick two flavors: do you want increased healing range? Increased normal healing? Healing lowest HP ally every wave, or mana training? Having Arietta is like being buddies with the guy that works at the shop. He will secretly give you three flavors for the price of two. The most complete package of healing goodness inside a flower basket you’ll find outside of Marina, and you also eventually get a copy of her for free.
    (Kizuna: per-wave healing of 9% HP to the lowest HP ally; immune to slow).

:cleric: Marina version 2.0: Not having a great healer is a constant source of anxiety for many F2P players in V1, and V2 is here to help you cast those worries into the ocean. Neo-Marina cannot be limit broken like her core volunteer army friends, but her first ability boost her stats to roughly that of a LB1 –LB2 SR cleric. She also receive bonus to healing, and an excellent per-wave heal. Oh, her cost is only 8 and you get her for free.
    (Kizuna: increase normal healing by 7%; immune to daze)

--------------------------- Good Enough

:warrior: Angelica: The Smiling Fiend is an SR with SSR abilities. Her skill compares favorably with those of SSR characters (say Yolde), which makes her good at killing. Her abilities make her good at killing and good at killing things faster. Just look how happy she is when she is killing! You should protect her smile by letting her do more of it.
    (Kizuna: Increase critical damage by 10%)

:warrior: Ibuki: The word I use to describe sleepy beauty Ibuki is simply “good”. She has a good AOE skill, and she has higher attack than most other 4* warriors despite having a cost of only 11, and she has a good experience boost (which admittedly is just okay). Even though she doesn’t have much abilities to enhance combat (30% attack boost below 1/3 HP is hard to manage, especially for a 4*), she is just solid in every other area to make her a great choice. She is also incredibly easy to level. Princess Tsuru has trained some frighteningly efficient vassals.
    (Kizuna: Increase experience gain by 8%)

:warrior: Kiora: Militant dancer Kiora brings with her arguably the strongest, toughest pair among SR warriors. She never hesitates to let them loose on a barrage of swings with results that someone like Peixe's pair cannot hope to compare. Why, of course i am talking about boobs - did you think I was talking about her fists? Why the heck would I do that? What? I need to talk about her abilities? Fine, she is a grappler, has good stats, and an ability that at above 2/3 HP boosts her attack by 32.5(!)% (15% if at least above 1/3). Sure, it is conditional, but it is lenient enough and she will likely do more damage than most of your V1 5* warriors, and is much more likely to be LB'd. Also, boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs. Phew!
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 3%, increase attack by another 6% if HP is above 2/3)

:warrior: Toka: Kono waza de is still going strong in V2. Her skill isn’t great and damage bonus to Ogres is no longer as useful as it was back in the old days, but she is here for her per-wave team heal. This isn’t a common ability on warriors and allows you to ditch the cleric on your way to a mono-warrior team for maximum damage and twintails and little sisters and KONO WAZA DE.
    (Kizuna: per-wave heal of 4% max HP to all party members)

:warrior: Tubalao:
    The best of the trio of SR suicide attacker warriors even with consideration for his higher cost. Tubalao distinguishes himself from his emotionally troubled lady colleagues through pure power (110% of max HP AOE for two mana), and a full suite of abilities to support the skill (20% max HP bonus, 10% attack bonus, and 20% attack bonus below 2/3 HP). All of these ability increases the damage of his skill, which can allow him even at LB0 to reach skill damage output to exceed that of a 5* warrior’s 2-mana AOE skill, of course at a cost of 30% of his HP which is manageable. Dude is also surfing on a shark – he is SURFING ON A SHARK.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack and reduce damage taken against mermen, ie walking fish)

:warrior: Vorg: Vorg the dragonslayer is a pretty good stat-stacker at 5% per wave. Only takes 3-4 waves to get his attack level up to SSR level. You can also get a free copy of him from mission so it’s more likely you’ll have him at a higher LB. It’s unfortunate that he just doesn’t do much else. Dragons aren’t that common in the game and most of the times aren’t actually that difficult. His skill is also nothing special. But hey, stats!
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 20% and reduce damage taken by 10% against dragons)

:warrior: Yoshikage: Handsome Yoshitsugu's hot-blooded and slightly tsundere little brother is a pretty good warrior himself. Good stats backed with a 30% increase in attack during boss waves and a warrior version of the Dannady war cry aura (he doesn't get the bonus though). The 5% attack is nice, but the speed boost is more important that you might think: ranged enemies becomes more and more dangerous as the game progresses through V2, for warrior teams, the ability to quickly close on those back-line bombers are quite crucial. He fits nicely into any warrior-based party.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 9%, also increase movement speed)

:knight: Dannady: CHAAAARGE! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE! YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!
    (Kizuna: per-wave self-heal of 12% of HP)

:knight: Ihelmina: Ihelmina seems to be perpetually underrated, and it’s easy to understand since she doesn’t seem to have any standout skills or abilities. In reality, her mana training skill is quite excellent. Knights are mana-hungry monsters – they aren’t good at auto-attacking, but they usually have good skills. Unfortunately, there are few choices when it comes to extra knight mana, and if you can’t afford Barienna, the she is your next best option (might as well call her Ihelmana while you are at it. Get it? GET IT? Sigh…). Oh, and she has an AOE dash with knock-down and improved blocking. All good things.
    (Kizuna: increased damage reduction against ranged attack when guarding by 10%, start with 1 mana).

:knight: Mustapha: Mustapha seems to be all about them gooooooold, but he fights well on top of it. It certainly doesn’t hurt when he has the highest gold gain boost, especially with gold harder to farm with V2’s nerf to battle rewards. He also has a strong per-wave self-heal, is incredibly easy to level (experience base 300), and has an excellent skill with large area and mass-slow abilities. Dude’s so self-sufficient that even Farrah has a crush on him, just like you should as well.
    (Kizuna: increase gold gain by 15%)

:knight: Ordell: Not a cute girl? Check. Not a slim pretty boy or brooding bad boy? Check. Not an adorable flame sprite or a fish? Check. Not popular? Check. Don’t underestimate the old guy – he is tough. He gets a 30(!)% damage reduction when he has any status ailments, even the harmless ones like blind, and has a skill that is identical to Lephret’s, which is also pretty good. The most interesting about the old man, however, is his first ability – 10% daze on >>normal<< hits, making it twice more likely to activate than Yoshino’s ability. A mainstay in your average grandpa parties.
    (Kizuna: bonus damage and damage reduction when fighting in snow)

:knight: Tia: Tia boosts treasure chest drops by 20%, which is smaller than Nympha's. On the other hand, Tia also has a much better active skill, which is an one-mana small AOE with knockback which can be spammed. She doesn't get any kind of damage boost or reduction unless it is against fishmen, who are basically glorified ogres and has questionable usefulness. This hurts her battle performance, but the package around treasure boost is good enough for her to be usable if you don't want to ruin your mana slot with a mage in Stella.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack against fishmen by 20%, increase treasure chest drop chance)

:knight: Verolla: Verolla is blessed by the Oyster, but she is there to put shells around your party. Her barrier has the same effectiveness as a damage reduction dance (Lyla’s skill, and Farlin’s without her ability buff). It costs more (2 manas) and is limited to 5 hits, but does not expire, which can be a good tradeoff. She also has a per-wave team heal, which is quite helpful for knight-based parties that doesn’t want a cleric to drag down damage output even further. A very useful character that easily fits into any knight-based teams.
    (Kizuna: increase damage by 3% and reduce damage taken by 3%)

:wizard: Airi: From the depths of the primordial pool where demons were born, a spirit emerged that brought forth the dark power of magic to the cowering inhabitants of the scorched earth. The power brought them strength, but also loneliness; pride, but also hubris. They curse the spirit for their ignorance and banished her to a volcano where red tears of molten agony burst forth for a thousand years. The black magma congealed into the shape of an ogre maiden who gets 5.5% attack boost every wave and has a line AOE that poisons.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack and reduce damage taken while fighting in wastelands).

:wizard: Isaiah: Fuahahahahah! Isaiah is like Frau but 200% more competent and 1500% more crazy. In terms of his abilities, he is very similar to Cleora. The one major difference is their skill – Isaiah has one of the most potent barriers around, a 2-mana all-ally barrier that reduces damage by around 13% of the recipient’s attack power for 3 hits. Let’s say you have a MLB Liam without other boosts, who has an attack of 8500. Isaiah’s barrier will reduce damage taken by 8500 x 0.13 = 1105 per hit which is pretty spiffy.
    (Kizuna: reduce damage taken, increase chance of getting treasure chest drops).

:wizard: Millagen: The weirdo among Rafalgar’s Thousand Rivers, and probably the weirdo in your volunteer army as well (how many of you actually use Millagen?). Millagen is kind of a Lyla-wannabe, but she loses out on the damage reduction. Instead of Lyla’s 5%, Millagen’s song reduces damage by 3%, and greatly reduces ice damage, the latter of which is generally useless. In return, Millagen’s song lasts twice as long. I have generally found Millagen’s damage reduction to be wanting without a healer, but like Lyla, her skill gets stronger when your other units gets better as well.
    (Kizuna: reduce damage taken against ice attacks, when kizuna’d to an unit in the sub-party, reduce damage taken by the main party)

:wizard: Shaly: Shaly the environmental actiwitch is really only useful for one purpose: a cheaper mana-slow alternative to Frau. Frau is a much better character overall, but if ALL you need is mana slow (and there are plenty of times for that), Shaly is a potential replacement to save you 3 cost. Until better replacement (a certain 3* mana slower) comes along, she is competent for this role. Just don't count on much power from her since she is always in energy saving mode.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 6% when HP is above 2/3)

:archer: Bonito: Is Bonito pretty, or is she fish flakes? You decide. One thing she is not, however, is compassionate toward the disabled, sick, or crippled. She does a remarkable 50% extra damage against enemies suffering from poison, slow, or blind – some of the most easily applied conditions. Her skill is an excellent wide AOE Vanguard that solves a general problem of archers – lack of consistent AOE damage outside of arrow rain skills. If you want to start experimenting with a status ailment party, she is a decent starter unit to play with.
    (Kizuna: Increase damage dealt to enemies suffering from slow, blind, or poison by 15%)

:archer: Constance: The very first 4* gunner - she is of the rapid fire variety. Constance has a few nice things going for her: first she is a mini-BartoloBaltro, with a shield-breaking skill that renders enemy knights vulnerable to ranged attacks (not everyone can block bullets with their boobs like Elza). Admittedly, the only place this is useful is on a knight boss, but it can be quite useful in such circumstances. She also has a impressive wave heal to the lowest health ally at 27%. The major reason why she does not rank higher is the lack of damage. Being a 15-cost unit, she has middling stats, and the only damage-boosting ability she has is a penetration after kill, which actually works somewhat awkwardly for handgun users (much better on rifle users). As better 4* gunner slowly stream out, her uniqueness will being to wear off, but she is the go-to budget gunner for now and works well enough.
    (Kizuna: per-wave heal of 9% max HP to ally with the lowest HP)

:archer: Michidia V2: Everyone’s reliable older sister gets more reliable in V2. She gets a bunch of boosts to make her auto-attack SSR level with only 8 cost. You probably want to use those archer manas on someone else, but she is perfectly happy to sit in the back to shoot and slow, shoot and slow. We all need a reliable older sister in our lives.
    (Kizuna: ranged attacks have a chance to slow)

:cleric: Wivea: Wivea is interesting in that she is immune to and actively removes seal. We don’t have a lot of sealing enemies right now, but when we do, you will wish they didn’t exist (sealing makes you unable to use skills). She also gets the combo ability of increased healing and increased healing range, making her excellent for daily use. It is as they say, some people never shut up when they are drunk, and it might be a good thing here.
    (Kizuna: immune to sealing).

--------------------------- End of page due to potential character limit (is there one?) Continued on the next post

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Rori, Edusu, Iza and 6 others like this.
  2. Elevator

Elevator Well-Known Member

Party Leader:
    Fan-Fan
    Player Rank:
    --------------------------- Okay
    :warrior: Gloria: Gloria ended up being harder to rank that I had initially thought. She is a jarring collection of good and bad things that struggles to fit together. First: she has great stats. 5900/5900 attack/HP at LB0 is fantastic even for a 15-cost SR. She also has a really interesting second ability, where she gets a 40% attack and significant speed boost at below half health, which when active, brings her attack to pretty crazy levels of high. On the other hand, maintaining a unit below half health, even one with high health like a warrior, is actually more difficult than one might think. Her skill is roughly the same as Rowendia's which isn't great and made worse by the fact the small damage multiplier and single target fails to synergize with her attack buffs, making her otherwise decent revenge ability more or less useless. In skilled hands, she could perform quite well if maintained below half health consistently, but it's just too much trouble for a 4* character.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 10% when an ally is defeated)

:warrior: Oguma: Oguma isn’t actually very good. His skill is duller than Gumi original character stories, and his abilities are situational at best (daze on crit sounds nice until you realize this happens on like 4% of his attacks). Why is he here? Raw power. His HP is lower, but he has the highest attack of all SR warriors available right now. Compare him to say, Angelica, who is overall a much better warrior, he has 500 more attack, which is like having a ability that raises attack by 10%. He does cost 1 extra, but he has better attack than other 13 cost warriors as well. Don’t bother with using his skill, just have him auto-chop the enemy while you give your attention to someone more interesting.
    (Kizuna: chance to daze enemy with normal attack)

:warrior: Peixe: Our free fanatic fish seafarer is, unfortunately, just fair. Her fourteen cost feels far fancier than the functions she fulfills. Fifteen percent experience boost is top shelf if that is what you are looking for, but she doesn’t fight well on firm land and isn’t tough. O gosh what the heck am I doing?
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 20% and reduce damage taken by 10% when fighting on the beach, ship or in the ocean)

:knight: Alvert: The masked hero is not as bad as he might seem, but he is a bit more specialized than you might like. Alvert is great against ranged enemies: he is of course a knight, and he gets bonus damage reduction during blocking, which offsets his second ability that exchanges extra damage taken for extra attack power. His skill is a boring 1 mana for 6x, but it’s ranged so it saves you a few seconds of walking there which may mean preventing annoying mages from getting their skills off, or being able to pick off a ranged unit without getting your own stuck behind enemy lines. Against melee units he is pretty awful and you don’t want him stuck in auto-attack fests, but most knights suffer from the same problem. With his masochistic streak, it is highly probably that he gets Kilie to shoot arrows at him every morning to hone his craft.
    (Kizuna: +12% attack, but also increased damage taken by 7%)

:knight: Fan-Fan: This ranking makes me weep. Back when I was a newbie captain and no SSRs wanted to join my scrawny volunteer army, Fan-Fan carried me through Soul Island by tanking every boss that showed up. He is still great at that job since his cheap barrier is super tough (reduces damage up to 20% of his attack) and he can air shield with ease, but his one job is just too specific (tanking a single enemy). He is not good at tanking multiple targets; he doesn’t provide any additional help to the team; he is awful at dealing damage to anyone that isn’t vulnerable to fire, and there are many other ways to fulfill the function that he brings. Use him and love him until you don’t ever anymore.
    (Kizuna: reduce all damage taken and greatly reduce damage taken against ice attacks)

:knight: Kain v2: Kain, the poor buttmonkey of the CC story, gets the short straw again in the upgraded version. It’s frustrating since he actually has many good things going, but unfortunately they never come together. He has okay stats (with the 30% VA boost), but he can’t be LB’d so they never get better. He has a good vanguard attack skill, but his attack is just not good enough to justify using a 2 mana skill for damage over SSRs or other SRs that you can level break. The rest of his abilities are focused on damage reduction – but they aren’t quite strong enough to make him tanky. Both Michi and Marina focus their entire skillset on one particular thing, which makes them work better. Poor Kain tries to do everything and save everyone, but couldn’t save himself from the bench. That said, feel free to use him in you are stuck in party cost hell – he works for cheap.
    (Kizuna: reduce ranged damage taken while blocking; immune to poison).

:knight: Violetta: The dud of the first batch of 15-cost units. Violetta suffers from a similar problem as Kain - she struggles to find a niche where she could really shine. Her attack is not great, as a 10% boost is not enough to make her preferable over 16-cost knight as her natural attack is low, and her skill is very boring (basically 10x single target for 2 mana). She has some interesting damage-reduction capabilities, but cannot tank properly because she doesn't have any self-heal or barrier abilities, and the damage reduction is not enough to make that much difference due to the way damage reduction stacking works (multiple damage reduction stacks to a smaller number than their sum: for example, 20%/10%/10% gives a total of 35% reduced damage, not 40%) . She is strong against ranged attackers, but I would argue that she is no better at this than someone like Alvert, who has more offensive options against ranged enemies. Finally, she offers very little team support like Verolla does. The damage reductions are very attractive, but in the end, she needs to do a bit more for a damage-challenged knight.
    (Kizuna: increase attack by 3%, reduce damage taken by 7% when less than 1/2 HP).

:wizard: Cleora: the power of science takes a lot of good things and gives us the mini-version of them. Miss Cleora isn’t really bad, but everything about her leaves you wanting a bit more: you wish her full screen AOE did a bit more damage; you wish her treasure drop increase was a bit higher; you wish her auto-attack was a bit stronger, and you wish her hat was a bit larger. That said, a bit less than you want is better than nothing and she is pretty easy to level.
    (Kizuna: increase skill power by 5%, increase treasure chest drop chances)

:wizard: Febrya: if you need a runefencer, she will do the job nicely. There isn’t much to talk about her beyond that. 1-mana line AOE is good for her “tanking” role since it has a long cast time and can be spammed for invulnerability. She has been quite helpful to me in the gauntlet/Colosseum in sniping the back-row arrow-rain archers and full-screen magic users, but there are better.
    (Kizuna: increase attack by 3%, increase resistance against flame attacks)

:wizard: Lilo: If used well, Lilo should be in the “good” or even “great” category, but doing so is a bit annoying. Her skill is a 2-mana large AOE for 130% of her max HP (she takes 50% of her max HP in damage). Even though she is a mage and has lower HP, she is better than Bernadette and Nazuna because her skill is capable of doing more damage combined with her second ability, which gives her +30% attack when her HP is below 2/3. When used in this state, LB0 Lilo will do around 5500 damage to enemies in a very large range, which is enough to kill just about any mob enemy. Better yet, if you can kill at least 6-7 enemies this way, there is a good chance you get 1 mana back, making her incredibly efficient. However, using self-destruction skill is much trickier with lower HP characters since the risk of killing themselves is higher. Not the most auto-battle friendly.
    (Kizuna: when fighting in desert, increase attack by 20% and reduce damage taken by 10%)

:wizard: Merheim:
    Serious professor is serious , good looking, and not terribly useful. Merheim has a decent skill which is ruined by the fact he does not have SSR-level stats to use it properly, frost damage is not great since he can’t freeze, but immunity to blind and poison is definitely quite helpful for a mage. There will be instances where you’ll want a ranged unit, but have to be careful to enemies that can blind. In those cases, grumpy professor is your man.
    (Kizuna: immune to poison and blind)

:wizard: Nayel: Nayel is the definition of a “specialist” and is almost impossible to rank. His/her (not gonna spoil this for you) skill is useless unless it’s the best thing in the world, and his/her abilities are decent, but nothing that would tempt you to keep him/her in your regular party. Stats are average at best, but that hardly even matters. If you ask me: get chummy with him/her, perhaps one day, in a distant land across the great wide sea, his/her ballades of love might save your life and your ass.
    (Kizuna: Immune to blind, per-wave party heal of 3%).

:wizard: Rebecca: Rebecca is also a cadet, which means lower cost and higher stats (does Princess Tsuru secretly run the academy as well?). Unfortunately, she doesn’t have the great skills or utilities that elevate a number of her peers. She is competent as a runefencer like Febrya, and exchanges a row AOE for a 6x single-target melee attack – a wash. She also gets an attack boost at below 50% HP that is much more difficult to utilize properly on a mage than a warrior due to lower HP. Use her if you need to, and replace her when you get someone better. She is not that motivated anyway and won’t complain.
    (Kizuna: allow ranged character to attack with normal damage at melee range)

:wizard: Shakti: Shakti is here for one purpose: gold. She has a barrier skill; it sucks. She has an attack/defense boost, it also sucks. Gold Gold GOOOOOOOOLD. Stick her in the sub of a gold party.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 3%, reduce damage taken by 3%, increase gold gain by 10%)

:archer: Connely: CUTE
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 6% if remaining HP is above 2/3)

:archer: Patricia V2: Here is a question: why is the volunteer army perpetually poor when there are many beyond-rich merchant in their ranks? Phoena is always worried about having enough potatoes for the next meal, so why couldn't Patricia or her colleague Shakti donate some of their bushels for the greater good (and get a tax write-off)? Perhaps they actually do so already, but Pirika embezzled all the funds for her favourite sweet rolls? I knew that stupid faerie could not be trusted. Oh, Patricia V2 is your free gold booster. Don't look for too much beyond that.
    (Kizuna: Increase gold gain from battle by 10%, per-wave heal of 3% max HP to all allies)

:archer: Phillip: True or False: Global deforestation is robbing job opportunities and livelihood of all “Kings of the Forest”. Back in V1 Philip was pretty good to have in the back for his damage boost and use in Colosseum to scare people a little. Now his best days are in the past. You can still use him (even get one for free) and he is certainly more useable than someone like Amille, but don’t expect much from it. Perhaps he will have to wait for his time a little, or a lot longer.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 20% and reduce damage taken by 10% when fighting in woodlands)

:archer: Yawood: Well, the omnipresent summoner of rocks is here. He does a decent, but not spectacular job at auto-attacking (20% damage boost during boss wave is not bad), and has reasonable stats. That rock has its uses – namely in boss waves when two of them show up on opposite sides of the screens and you don’t want to lose damage, or too lazy to air shield one of them. Rocked enemies also don’t do anything, so you can plug up dancers and healers that way as well. Of course, there are many other ways to deal with such situation without rocks (such as freezing, killing mob enemies with AOE, slowing, knockbacks, or using the mana to kill things faster), but hey, there are no right way to play this game. Now go penetrate that opening with your Yawood.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack by 10% and reduce damage taken by 5% during boss waves)

:cleric: Adelle: Adelle is one of the half-dozen SR clerics with interchangeable parts that you can pick to fit your need. This version has free mana, and increased normal heal. You do get a copy for free so that’s nice. Pick her if mana training is your thing.
    (Kizuna: start battle with one mana)

:cleric: Celeya: Celeya is a little bit different from the other SR clerics. She doesn’t have one of the replacement abilities to boost her healing, but heals herself instead. She also has higher attack, and interestingly, higher HP compared to other SR clerics. The main difference is that she heals blind, which is a far more debilitating condition if you have ranged characters.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack and reduce damage taken when fighting in woodlands)

:cleric: Orianna: Orianna gets a wave-heal and wider healing range in the SR cleric ability roulette. Notably her skill also heals poison (notice all the poison-healer clerics are the reliable lady type… are you trying to tell us something Sega?), but it is harder to use than Melvina’s due to it being 2 mana. Nevertheless, she is good enough for Dilma and should be good enough for you until you get an SSR healer.
    (Kizuna: Per wave heal of 6% of max HP to lowest HP party member, immune to poison)

--------------------------- Poor
    :warrior: Aina: Aina’s biggest problem is her poor combat abilities. She is tied for the lowest attack among non-Ioh/Amille SR warriors, and receives basically no boost outside of caves, a fairly rare terrain type. She does give experience boost of 10%, but it really was much better in V1 when people grinded free quests. V2 gives out enhancers much more liberally, the 10% (a 50 exp increase in a 500 point mission – compared to a 2-star enhancer with gives over 10000 exp) really isn’t much. There are also 3* arcana that does the same thing, and you are given a free arcana that does it better. Finally, to unlock her exp ability you need to get her to lv. 50 first – what a waste.
    (Kizuna: 20% attack and 10% defense increase in caves)

:warrior: Amille: Amille isn’t bad in V1 for his sub-party boost, but V2 is big boy (or girl) time and he’s still a mama’s boy. His skill is a Rodell wannabe but far worse. He’s not useful in battle and you can do better in the sub party. You may wish to hang on to him for Kizuna though.
    (Kizuna: 3% attack boost when he is Kizuna’d to someone in the sub party).

:warrior: Bernadette: She loves the hero but he doesn’t really love her back. Is it because she isn’t terribly useful? Bernie’s stats aren’t great, and her skill is essentially 1 mana for 5x AOE in a large area while eating 50% of the damage herself. Her abilities don’t really improve her skill, and as content gets more difficult, she will not be able to kill mobs with her skill. Keep her as a pet daughter and find someone else to fight for you.
    (Kizuna: Increase damage of critical hits by 5%, increase attack by 6% when above 2/3 HP)

:warrior: Nazuna: Nazuna suffers from the same problem as Bernadette. There is nothing inherently wrong with a self-harm skill, but the pay-off ought to be larger than a vanilla damage skill. Tuba and Lilo has abilities to further support their skills, but Nazuna has… revenge? Why does she have revenge when she is, you know, the one likely doing the dying? Bonus against Ogres is nice, but they are no longer difficult to deal with after the improved roster that comes with V2.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack against Ogres)

:warrior: Sakon: Sakon is an interesting case: he has one of the best revenge abilities around, and a skill with decently high damage multiplier to take advantage of it. The problem? He is an SR – not somebody that you want to carry the big guns for damage. His skill – single-target melee skill is harder to use with revenge since it is harder to get him in position within the 10 seconds. Revenge characters are annoying enough to use as it is, so ignore this hot-blooded one and let the SSRs do the damage instead.
    (Kizuna: Increase attack and reduce damage taken when fighting in wastelands)

:wizard: Fi-Fi: Wi-Fi is cute but she doesn’t do much other than shooting out fire. Her normal attack is fire, and her skill is 2 mana 12x fire when upgraded (single target). Her skill is awkward to use – it’s not useful against mobs since single target and 2 mana, and not very useful against bosses since her stats are low without many LBs compared to SSR, which are the units you want to be using the damage skills. Leave her with Rolo and find yourself someone better.
    (Kizuna: increase skill power by 8%, increase damage resistance against flame attacks).

:wizard: Paboa: Long ago, in the sea breeze tribe, a plain forest sprite got tired of her plain life and wanted an image change. So she went out and bought a lot of makeup and fancy clothes, got a new hairstyle, and even merged with a freaking peacock. Now she prances around in battle in clothes revealing enough to give Oletta a heart attack and give Arbol woo… nevermind, and gets showered in attention. Unfortunately none of this makes her happy, because deep down inside, she knows the Paboa that everyone adores is not the real Paboa – a boring mage that does 3.5x line AOE and little else.
    (Kizuna: increase attack by 20% and reduce damage taken by 10% while fighting in the woodlands)

:archer: Tif: Poor Tif, slow was her specialty but now everyone and their mother can do it (sorry Michidia. It’s a joke. Please forgive me.). At least she has decent attack to save her from the land of Ioh.
    (Kizuna: ranged attacks have a chance to slow)

:cleric: Noel: Noel has increased normal healing and increased healing range. She is here because of her low stats. Her attack, at 4900, is lowest among all of the SR healers. The increase normal heal merely brings her slightly above her peers without the skill. Her 2-mana regen skill also does not heal more than a normal 2-mana heal, and does not fix any conditions.
    (Kizuna: Increase normal healing by 6%)

:cleric: Popra: Do you have at least an LB1 or LB2 Melvina? Stick with her.
    (Kizuna: increase attack and reduce damage received when fighting in the snow)

:cleric: Vanessa: Vanessa is here because of the human vice of laziness. She is a good healer with increased normal healing and an all-ally wave-heal. Unfortunately, using her means you have to wait for the enemies to get close to your boxes or move her in to attack as well. That’s fine during battles where you want to pay attention, but it’s just too much for auto-battling. There are many other choices just as good, so no need to subject yourself to extra work. Just surrender to lazy, it’s what it means to be human and what I am about to do with this freaking list.
    (Kizuna: increase normal healing by 10%, reduce healing range).

--------------------------- Ioh
    :warrior: Ioh: Ioh
    (Kizuna: Increase attack and reduce damage taken while fighting in cities)

:knight: Rowendia: Ahh Rowendia. She is as useless as she is pretty. Poor stats, below-average skill, and an ability that boosts her below-average skill to a below-average skill. Even her block-boosting skill is overshadowed by other knights that do it better. It is as they say – keep her for the Kizuna.
    (Kizuna: reduce damage taken by 3%, increase skill power by 12%)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for reading - you just wasted a perfectly good hour.
    Change log:
    10-18-2015: added Yoshikage (thanks nickjr)
    10-23-2015: added Patricia V2
    11-23-2015: added Shaly and Connely
    12-02-2015: added SRs from Daybreak Isle Tavern

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Rori, Fruitx, Illiu and 24 others like this.
  3. Cary

Cary Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Madea
    tldr yet. :p
    sexy stuff though

4. Brood_Star

Brood_Star Well-Known Member

Party Leader:
    MLB Coro
    as much as someone's going to shoot me for saying they're only useful for kizuna, i'd say for a player like me who has more than enough 5*s, 95% of 4*s are going to be considered for kizuna only. that would change the "tier list" a lot

(adelle, yawood, rowendia, nayel)

5. FourZe

FourZe Active Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Depends
    Player Rank:
    Farrah is mustapha's adopted daughter :rolleyes:

6. Dawn Breaker

Dawn Breaker Active Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Goddess Freya
    Amazing! Hilarious yet helpful guide! Kudos~ (y)

Talukita likes this.
  7. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    MLB Elza or Morgan w/Raid weapon
    Player Rank:
    Poor for Noel, she is my favorite Cleric. (n)

Kai_R3B03n18 likes this.
  8. dye2556

dye2556 Active Member

Party Leader:
    Selene
    In short future when kizuna comes, you will find Rowendia is more valuable than most SR Knights.

9. lol13

lol13 Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    bliza
    Player Rank:
    i do like the list but dont you think lyla is a bit high rank?? i mean she's only useful for colloseum and gauntlet, you do not want defense boost during demon raid. Plus she's super horrible on normal mission and storyline.

10. Evolsey

Evolsey Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Rinuya, Paloma, Mustapha, whoever beneficial
    Player Rank:
    Same. I have attachment to her ever since I got her on the first day of Playing CC. She carried me through book 1 and still in gauntlet and such. I love her still..

11. Brood_Star

Party Leader:
    MLB Coro
    lyla would be terrible in gauntlet and colosseum. in fact, seems like her use would come from normal mission and storyline. plus exp boost, waveheal and crafting. i consider her pretty highly as a 4*, though marina 4* should definitely be "top"

Sergiomomo likes this.
  12. lol13

lol13 Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    bliza
    Player Rank:
    hmm, its true but lyla should be pretty good or good. I dont think she have the same rank as roxanna

13. Brood_Star

Party Leader:
    MLB Coro
    if you want to take that argument, then i'd say only rox/danielle are "top"

but these things are all subjective anyway so i don't concern myself too much with them

14. dye2556

dye2556 Active Member

Party Leader:
    Selene
    If my opinion, only 4* you can count at top is Roxanna. Danielle is just 2nd tier like Vienta. Why? She's best 4* sub-buff character with higher status boost than Vienta. But Vienta is definitely better if your character died and these two must come to the field. Vienta can be force on the field and have skill that can buff other character. Danielle is healer so her fighting ability is weak, and mostly time you already have your main healer in the field. So unless your main healer died, Danielle is useless on battlefield. Unlike Vienta, Aile, Tsuru, Eleonora who are good units even they're on battlefield. And since your 2nd sub party slot is for Phoena only so in future you may find that other characters are better than Danielle for 1st slot sub party.

15. Brood_Star

Party Leader:
    MLB Coro
    well, firstly, danielle got nerfed so this is probably moot by now

secondly, i think the 5% additional attack she has over vienta is enough to make her "op". that basically puts her at the highest offensive subbuffer. as much as being a good buffer on the field is useful, best to not let your units die to begin with

16. Neko

Neko Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Rin Lee
    Player Rank:
    Neko thinks noel should be higher, while she has the lowest attack, she compensates with having the highest ratio in the game for heal over time clerics

Murasame likes this.
  17. Murasame

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Player Rank:
    Lyla is not good in pvp, but she is the good friend for Hard quest and Long wave, and her song is the big help when your allies were poisoned.

18. Murasame

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Player Rank:
    And Gumi just fixed Danielle ability again, now her ability is boots 10% Atk and reduce 5% Damage taken like Vienta. Although she is not good in Battle field, her first ability sound good for me ( increase 30% Gold ).

19. Collie

Collie Well-Known Member

Party Leader:
    Lindsey
    I wonder if Danielle's ability should really be 10%. It literally says in her ability slot that it should be 15%... so likely a bug?

20. Murasame

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Player Rank:
    No, Her ability can boots 15% Atk like Phoena in the past, and I always use her with Phoena, but now Gumi fixed it. :(
    P/S : I sent a ticket to Gumi, but they don't do anything. Curse you, Gumi. :mad: