Petition to sign to try and save global CC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yukitan, Jan 19, 2016.

1. PeachesAndCream83

PeachesAndCream83 Active Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Belvedo
    Player Rank:
    All things considered, CCJP is already this "one country/region" game that you speak of. But, if Chain Chronicle becomes popular enough through the anime, then collaborations won't be as big of a deal to foreign players as they are to the local ones. When people want to play a game with Mickey Mouse, they will buy a game that has Mickey Mouse on the cover. Same goes for Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros, and Pokémon. Chain Chronicle's cast is already as huge as the Pokémon franchise's lineup of creatures, and one of $EGA's specialties is cashing out on geek nostalgia. An English CC reboot might have a collaboration with another franchise only once in a blue moon, but that doesn't mean that the unassuming player will be disappointed because they would already have their favorite characters that they saw on the big screen. I wasn't even aware of the fact that Chain Chronicle does franchise collaborations when I started playing it. Besides, Chain Chronicle is a game that uses cards. In any other game, the desire to trade cards would be encouraged. If foreign players want a character that comes from a Japanese collaboration badly enough, they would be willing to make a trade for them online if they are capable of doing so.

That's another reason why I have been so impressed with the newer Pokémon games. With X and Y's well-developed trading systems, not only was I able to get Pokémon from all over the world, including Japan, but I managed to acquire all of the Pokémon that I ever wanted and then some. It even got to the point where I was capable of giving away shiny legendary Pokémon as presents. In other words...I caught them all.

What I learned from all of that is that there is no harm in asking for what you want. & so, to whoever is capable and interested in republishing the petition in Japanese, I shall offer a blue Mew in exchange for your assistance ;) .

2. Jpwong

Jpwong Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    See Signature
    While it might not hurt to ask, anything that "foreigners" say will likely fall on deaf ears. Not only has Sega shown itself to be extremely risk adverse when it comes to doing their own global launches, Japan itself has a culture of basically seeing Japan only, and the rest of the world is just an extra they call sell rights to a third party for. You're more likely to get traction by asking a third party developer to license the rights for the game from sega and basically do what GUMI was doing, importing their own collabs into the game.

The problem is going to be that once you cut out the collabs, you've cut out a sizable chunk of the weekly content. Permanent content is only going to take the game so far. Sega's going to probably have the population numbers for GCC. We strait up know from the Selene tower event that the entire active game population was something south of 30k players. It seems unlikely that however passionate a petition someone crafts, Sega is going to budge for a playerbase that's substantially smaller than their JPCC playerbase. If we had a playerbase that they could respect as being profitable, that might be a different story, but at the same time, if we had that many players, it would have been unlikely that GUMI would have forgone the license renewal in the first place.

I don't see the anime as being a game changer at their point either. I'm sure it will be nice, but to actually influence potential players (assuming there was a global game available when it comes out worldwide) it would need to be some sort of grand slam series that gains some sort of massive cult following where they basically end up being able to fund the game purely off the anime merchandise sales.

You also need to put into perspective that all other CC licenses except TWCC have failed at this point. That means other asian countries that were operating more closely to the Japanese on region model and were able to do some more standard collabs also fell through. It's not something exclusive to the GCC license.

3. PeachesAndCream83

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Belvedo
    Player Rank:
    1) If Japan is such a self-involved country, then why have I seen plenty of Japanese kids around our age bracket dressed-to-the-nines in American made merchandise such as Disney and Peanuts? 2) Are there any third-party developers your aware of who would be interested in distributing CC and would be able to afford $EGA's license fees? I doubt Rovio would be game for adding a massive fantasy RPG to their catalog :rofl: . 3) You've already acknowledged Gumi's miniscule marketing budget. While we may not have the exact statistical data to analyze, the little evidence that we do have indicates that the active player-base is proportionate to the amount of exposer to the series the potential players have experienced. 4) Don't you think it is unusual that the anime developers have already shifted their strategy from doing a stand-alone anime TV series to a TV/film series combo before it premieres? That's a package that's normally seen after the TV series has become popular like Puella Magi Madoka Magica so that the developers can cash in on compilation films. They're also going through the pains of throwing top-dollar animation/special effects and original-narrative-content into the equation. This indicates that, not only are the developers willing to take a large risk with this project, the developers are actually counting on riding the renewed wave of interest in anime films to reach a wider audience. So long as the script is solid and they don't have to square off against that mega-hit Your Name, CC will be in a prime position to "go viral" as they say. 5) Unlike CCG, the failure of the other CC licenses were not entirely caused by internal factors. For example, China has been trying to tighten their control over their multimedia. As such, their regulatory agencies came to the conclusion that their CC license was an unsuitable product for their country's citizenry and put pressure on the distributor to shut it down, which was partly due to the English language characters that the game contained.

4. Hitori

Hitori Well-Known Member

Party Leader:
    Velnar
    Player Rank:
    TBH i somewhat revoke what I previously said. As much as I would rather have a game like World Chain translated to english so that I could read all the stories and dating sims, I don't mind if it stays out of reach from the west aswell.

As a person with extra time to spare, I'm spending less and less time on mobile games, I spend all my free time playing PC games now. Even short games that don't take longer than 10 hours to complete(*cough*buyghosttrick*cough*) are so much more "easier" to play than a mobile game with like 3 different mechanics and nothing else. What I mean by easier, I mean I want to play them more and I feel so much more at ease playing those games. f2p mobile games nowadays cause me a ton of stress and anxiety because of how p2w they are and how I always end up with regret for missing out on a stupid limited card. It really has messed up my life in a lot of ways tbh. But I never regret spending $60 on a finished game even if I only played like 10% and just forgot about it. I own the entire game and I like the feeling of that more than owning some pretty art with good stats.

Anyways, these are some personal reasons why I can't stand most mobile games anymore but this is a thing that is relevant everywhere in the west which is why Japanese mobile games are extremely niche here. Even if the game is as f2p as it possibly can be, nobody wants to play a mobile game because that's what people who don't have a lot of free time and prefer quick bursts of happiness want. Once you become an adult in Japan, your entire life is just working and working. And if you aren't working until you die you become an otaku spending thousands of dollars on anime merch and waifus. Now we already have 2 important parts of an f2p mobile game. The workers who have no free time to play a real game play mobile games because they're simpler and quicker. You don't need to sit down for more than 10 minutes to finish a quest most of the time. Basically, the workers fill up the playerbase with lots of people. The Otakus on the other hand, flock to games with lots of workers and spend lots of money on those games. Some workers who are mentally ill might also spend hundreds of dollars on stupid cards.

Basically, the west doesn't have so much shitty working conditions which is why most western gamers hate mobile games. And honestly even I think those japanese mobile games are shit and glorified gambling machines. I don't mind adding some CCG elements to a game. But I mind the nature of most mobile games that are either too simple, too p2w or both. Despite all the controversy, Shadowverse is actually the best card game for me because it's complex and I can play the game for an hour without getting bored. We need more games like that tbh.

Basically, the only way we can have a good CCG game in the west/global market that lasts is to 1. Give it a more gamey feel where you can play for at least an hour straight without getting bored and 2.Provide a good experience where you don't have to pay more than $60 to have fun. Whales can still exist because it's not bad to spend lots of money on a game you genuinely enjoy just to support the developers.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  5. PeachesAndCream83

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Belvedo
    Player Rank:
    Very true. B2O is a lot more preferable than the F2P/P2W business model in my opinion. The most popular mobile games in the west are, like you said, simple and quick. So the developers should really reconsider going with the F2P/P2W model if their product does not fit neatly into that category.

6. Jpwong

Jpwong Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    See Signature
    People wearing American clothing in Japan is a result of imports from America, not Japanese making those products specifically to export for a primary global audience first, Japanese audience second. Almost all the mobages being produced in Japan are being produced primarily for the Japanese audience. If it happens to have global appeal, that's considered secondary as a bonus revenue opertunity where they can sublicense the game out to another studio that will take all the risk for the global success or failure while paying the license a fixed fee. Look at anime for example, almost all global or non-Japanese licenses are held by third party companies such as Funimation, Crunchyroll, US Manga etc. You hardly ever see a Japanese company take their licenses globally. They just sell the rights to someone else as a bonus revenue stream. If by some reason it does really well, they can use that as leverage when the license renewal comes up, but they let other people take the risk associated with unknown markets.

I have seen no actual evidence that we're getting a stand alone CC TV series that isn't just going to be the movies cut up into TV sized segments a la Gundam Unicorn style. It's hardly a combo if they're selling you basically the exact same product just packaged up in two different formats.

The core problem still stands though, what compelling evidence is there from a business standpoint that would show that Sega going against their standard operating procedure is going to give a substantial ROI if they did all the work to re-launch a global edition of the game again from scratch? Alternatively what evidence is there to show that a secondary developer with get ROI if they buy the global license from Sega? Regardless of the reasons, they're going to see that 3 of the 4 CC international licenses have failed.

Anyone who relaunches a global version of the game is going to face a big uphill battle. First they'll have the issue of taking up a failed game. Since search results for the game's name are almost certainly going to bring up the former developer, there's going to be a stigma attached to the game from whatever the original developer (GUMI) did for bad or good with the game. Secondly, they'll have to deal with a lot of the same issues GUMI had, except they'll likely be further exemplified. If they launch from V1, no one's going to spend on the game because people will know what's coming from V2 from the GUMI edition. If they launch from V2, they'll be in the exact same position GUMI was where everyone still knows what's in pipe from JPCC. This might be a smaller portion of the players, but could seriously impact revenue. There's also the consideration that they'd need to invest in bringing the entire game up to that starting point meaning that the further in they start, the larger the initial investment they need to make.

Honestly it might make more sense that if anyone were to bring CC back, that they would launch with only v3 and give it a slightly different name like Chain Chronicle: Another Story and simply cut out the v1/v2 part of the game.

7. PeachesAndCream83

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    Belvedo
    Player Rank:
    1) My point still stands that Japanese customers are interested in more than just their country's own products. 2) I never said or assumed that the movie and the TV series were going to be two completely different presentations. 3) All gaming ventures requires a lot of work. 4) There have been successful reboots before. 5) Whoever brings CC back would have to launch with V3 to capitalize on the game's improvements. 6) Chain Chronicle: Another Story is a really weak suggestion for a title. 7) They can't cut out the V1/V2 content because the new players need to know what the whole story is.

8. Jpwong

Jpwong Well-Known Member

Friend ID:
    Party Leader:
    See Signature
    Yeah, but we're discussing Japanese BUSINESSES not the customers. The business culture is one that looks inwards for the most part. Everything outside Japan is just a bonus they can license the item out to another company. There might be a reasonable initial investment for any game, but to launch v3 would mean needing to invest the resources to translate the entire game basically into however many languages they plan to support, it's a much higher initial cost than just taking some other game that hasn't been out for as long. The point is that someone has to be willing to take the risk of putting in that extra effort and cost on the chance the game will go under again. And they could easily cut out v1/2 and only go with v3 as long as v3 doesn't end up doing cross version quests. It's just a matter of providing the players a way to know the jist of the story to this point. They could just have some extended play video that explains it all. There would probably be some higher initial costs to cut out all the code to activate all the stuff that could send you back to the v1/2 ui, but they wouldn't need to translate all that text beyond enough of the main story to create a catch me up thing for players.

Again, we end up circling the critical problem, there's nothing from the business side of things to say this game is worth relaunching outside of Japan as far as I can see right now. Maybe if the anime is some crazy hit where it sells tons for whoever the anime gets licensed to there would be a case for it, but at the moment, doing a relaunch, vs bringing a new IP over like World Chain or something, the new IP would have a similar risk load while having a lower initial investment.

This might all be moot though. Given the movies are coming out shortly and if they're going to release the TV edition shortly thereafter, someone would pretty much need to already be working on the game's relaunch right now if they plan to cash in on the anime hype given how fast licensing deals are going through on the side of things these days. If a company waited until the anime actually came out globally to gauge things, by the time they could get the game to market, the anime itself might be over and the hype wave with it.